While putting things together for Language Challenge 180, I was delighted to come across a new company producing language learning products specifically for children in 30 different languages: Dino Lingo!
For families looking to teach children a new language at home (homeschoolers, children who haven’t yet started school, after school practice, etc.) this is a wonderful option! You might even want to give this program a try with your children during Language Challenge 180.
Dino Lingo Polish
It can be difficult for families to find language programs for their children, especially for languages that aren’t often taught as foreign languages in schools. Polish is one of these language.
Over the years, parents and educators have asked me where they can find Polish language learning programs for children. I am delighted to be able to tell them to check out Dino Lingo! Starting a language when our children are young is the best time to start!
Here is a rundown of the Dino Lingo Polish language program:
- First 200 Polish words & phrases: The program focuses on a set of 200 words (used in isolation and in context) and phrases that your child will be able to master by the end of the program. Since the words and phrases are repeated often, children are given the opportunity to work on hearing the intonations and imitating the sounds of the language as much as possible.
- Full Polish immersion: The program is presented in the target language from start to finish, using context to help children associate the words and phrases with their meanings. This is not one of those programs that go back and forth between English and Polish (or providing English translations along the way). This is important for children learning a language since the associations between the words and their meanings will be made directly (rather than through translation).
- Fun animation: Dino Lingo’s main characters are animated dinosaurs (if you haven’t guessed that by the name). The characters are adorable and the animations are fun, yet they are able to include a lot of repetition so that children have the chance to hear the target words and sentences repeatedly. I like that the context is varied between these fun animations and real-life scenes. It helps to keep children interested and involved in the lesson.
- Polish subtitles: To aid in word pronunciation, recognition and retention, Polish subtitles are included in all of the Dino Lingo DVDs. This means that exposure to Polish written words takes place as your child learns the Polish language.
- Specifically for children: What really impresses me with the Dino Lingo Polish product is that it is made specifically for young children. It is not an attempt to adapt a language learning program originally created for adults (which rarely works!). Children’s language learning depends on variation, enjoyment, repetition and engagement – all of which Dino Lingo provides.
What Is Included?
- The package includes 5 DVDs (region free) which cover the following categories:
DVD 1 – Let’s Count : Numbers and colors / 35 min.
DVD 2 – Let’s Eat : Food, fruit and vegetables / 35 min.
DVD 3 – Let’s Play : Toys, house items, vehicles / 35 min.
DVD 4 – Let’s Jump : Verbs, actions and nature / 35 min.
DVD 5 – Let’s Learn : Family, body parts, and clothes / 35 min.
Daily conversations, greetings and animals are included in all five DVDs.
- 150 Polish language flash cards for kids
- Polish vocabulary book for kids
- Polish poster set for kids
- World map
- Polish flag
- A dinosaur plush toy
- Dino Lingo coloring book
- Parents’ guide for teaching children a foreign language
- Worldwide shipping at a reasonable rate
This is a great online language program for families who want to help introduce their children to the first 200 words of Polish. Bilingual families, who speak Polish at home, could use this product with their young children but it should be noted that children will most likely already know the words and may not learn anything new. Whether or not your children already know most of the first 200 words of Polish that are included in these DVDs, we encourage you to use this program as a jumping off point for additional parent-directed language learning each day.
The program has a variety of elements to it and follows a regular sequence. The fact that it is full immersion Polish is fantastic since is gives children the chance to learn the language direct context! I also appreciate that it doesn’t overwhelm with full sentences all of a sudden. It does introduce these throughout the program which gives children a chance to get used to using the vocabulary in context.
I would encourage parents to be involved as much as possible while their children learn Polish with this product. This will have the most impact on each child’s language learning. The DVDs on their own are not enough. For the greatest impact, parents will need to help their children use their newly learned vocabulary in as many contexts as possible (grocery store, going for a walk, driving in the car, etc.). The picture dictionary and poster will come in handy for this as well – use it before and after each lesson!
As advertised, this program focuses on the first 200 words in Polish. Parents should not expect that their children will become fluent after using this program! However, children will most likely have a fun time picking up top vocabulary, pronunciation and a general sense of the Polish language. We feel that it is a great way to help children get started with a brand new language!
To learn more about the Polish Dino Lingo products (and to try out a demo), please head to the Dino Lingo Polish language page.
For information about DinoLingo’s other languages, head to the main DinoLingo website page.
We are proud to have Dino Lingo as a Multilingual Living sponsor. Thank you, Dino Lingo for all of your support!