I am always excited to read a new book about raising children in more than one language, especially when it comes from the solid and trustworthy publisher, Multilingual Matters. With all of the media blitz about the benefits of multilingualism, it is important that we focus on what really matters: our very own multilingual families. There are so many wonderful reasons to raise our children multilingually, most of which have little to do with brain benefits and excelled cognitive functioning.
To give us an insight into real-life family multilingualism, we are very excited to be able to offer the book Growing Up with Languages: Reflections on Multilingual Childhoods, by Claire Thomas, as our next giveaway!
“A unique new insight into multilingual families, this books views multilingual childhoods from the perspective of the child and is based on over 50 interviews with adults who grew up in multilingual settings. The book charts their recollections of their childhoods and includes many different types of families; discusses many of the common issues that arise in multilingual families and draws examples from all over the world.”
What I find significant about this book is that it fleshes out the comments we hear from bilingual experts from around the world:
- There is no one single way to raising children bilingually.
- Stick with it and your children will thank you one day.
Growing Up with Languages includes interviews, research, discussion and so much more! We highly recommend this book for families raising children in more than one language.
You can find Growing Up with Languages, as well as a number of other fantastic books about bilingualism and multilingualism, at the Multilingual Matters website.
How to Enter the Giveaway…
- To enter this giveaway, all you need to do is to leave a comment below telling us why you would like to win this wonderful book.
The Following Entries Count Too!
Your comment counts as one entry. Plus, if you do any of the following listed below, then we are more than happy to count it as an additional entry to say “thank you” for all of your participation in Language Challenge 180 as well as your help in getting the word out about Multilingual Living.
If you do any of the following, make sure to leave a separate comment for each so that we can count it!
- Subscribe to our RSS Feed or tell us that you are already subscribed (let us know in a separate comment below).
- Follow us on Twitter or tell us that you already follow (let us know in a separate comment below).
- LIKE us on the Multilingual Living Facebook Page or tell us that you already LIKE us (let us know in a separate comment below).
- Subscribe to the Multilingual Living Email List or tell us that you are already on the email list (let us know in a separate comment below).
- Follow the Multilingual Living Pinterest page or one of our boards or tell us that you already do (let us know in a separate comment below that you did this).
The winner will be chosen at random using random.org’s sequence generator.
This giveaway will close at 9:00 am (German time) on Friday, August 24, 2012 (the closing date has been extended 4 days).
Make sure to read the Multilingual Living Giveaway Rules!
Hope you enjoy this giveaway! Thank you for all of your support for Multilingual Living!