This page is for Language Challenge 180 participants. Sign up now to join this event!
Once a Day, Once a Week…
Did you write down one thing that you/your children will do each day (and week)? If you aren’t sure what I am talking about, then check out the Week 18 post to find out. Make sure you/your children have at least a few things that you/they can do every day in the target language. Don’t leave anything to chance!
Sometimes the reason we aren’t getting anywhere with our language is because we aren’t sure what to do each day in the target language. Should we read a book? Or maybe we should watch a video? Perhaps we should skype with a friend or a family member?
It is wonderful to have so many different things at our fingertips to help language learning progress! However, do we have a plan for when to do what? It isn’t necessary but it can really help us stay on track.
Here is an example of how someone might plan out the week:
- Monday-Friday: Read chapter (quietly out loud to children) from current book before bed. Write down 5-10 unknown words from chapter and look them up the next day.
- Tuesdays: Skype at 11:00 am with friend for half an hour.
- Wednesdays: Watch video/movie after dinner.
- Thursdays: Write an email (or imaginary letter) to a friend/family member. Or write out sentences for each of the newly learned words in the chapters read.
- Fridays: Meet with a native speaker and chat over coffee (or have children spend time with a native speaker).
When things are planned out to this level of detail, then you know what to expect each day. You can always add more but if you are short on creativity, inspiration or time, then you can just focus on that day’s activity(ies).
Note that in the above plan reading is the only activity done every day. The other activities are done once a week. You don’t want to overdo things for yourself and/or your children!
Today’s Check-In Activity
- Check-In Activity: In the comment section below, share one thing that you and/or your children do every day (or every week) to keep language learning alive. Do you read from a book each day? Or maybe you watch a Youtube video each day? Maybe you listen to a certain CD in the car whenever driving places? If you are up for it, share what your and/or your children’s week of language learning looks like!
- Giveaway: After you leave a comment below, head over to the current giveaway and enter! Once you check in, you can enter! It is another fantastic giveaway prize!
Don’t forget to visit the Multilingual Living Forum to ask a question, start a discussion or give someone else some support. You do NOT have to log in to post there. We encourage you to check out the Language Challenge 180 section as well as the other sections. And come check us out at Pinterest! We’d love to share with you there!
Have you checked on your target language pages lately? Add comments for new products/tips/advice/conversations that you have on your mind!
Keep an eye out for your next email which will arrive on Monday! Keep up the fantastic work!