This page is for Language Challenge 180 participants only. Sign up now to join this event!
What Are Your Top Interests?
Did you find any websites, magazines, books or videos about your and/or your children’s hobbies in the target language? If you aren’t sure what I am talking about, then check out the Week 15 post to find out. It is a fantastic way to be motivated to use our languages!
Even if we don’t understand everything that is written, the link between something we feel a fondness for (hobbies, sports, activities, etc.) and our target language is powerful. In fact, it is one of the strongest motivators for sticking with language learning.
Many don’t realize how emotional language learning really is. The more our language learning is linked with pleasurable activities and hobbies, the stronger our brain will link our target language with pleasure. In fact, we will actually feel a similar pleasure down the road just by using these languages again! Our brain will associate the two and want more such pleasurable experiences.
Here are some ideas for how to link pleasurable interests with language learning:
- If you like watching sports, watch it in the target language.
- Read about the latest knitting patterns at an online knitting website in the target language.
- Do easy crossword puzzles in the target language (find children’s ones to start!).
- Watch documentaries about a topic that interests you in the target language.
- Snuggle on the sofa with your favorite tea while reading a book in the target language.
Today’s Check-In Activity
- Check-In Activity: In the comment section below, tell us what your and/or your children’s hobbies, interests and/or favorite activities are. These don’t need to have anything to do with language learning. These are simply things that give your personal live meaning. Maybe you/your children like to knit or draw or play soccer or swim? Maybe you enjoy reading mystery novels or making home-made jewelry and your children enjoy reading Calvin and Hobbes. Tell us!
- Giveaway: After you leave a comment below, head over to the current giveaway and enter! Once you check in, you can enter! It is another fantastic giveaway prize!
Don’t forget to visit the Multilingual Living Forum to ask a question, start a discussion or give someone else some support. You do NOT have to log in to post there. We encourage you to check out the Language Challenge 180 section as well as the other sections. And come check us out at Pinterest! We’d love to share with you there!
Have you checked on your target language pages lately? Add comments for new products/tips/advice/conversations that you have on your mind!
Keep an eye out for your next email which will arrive on Monday! Keep up the fantastic work!