This page is for Language Challenge 180 participants only. Sign up now to join this event!
10 Minutes Over and Over Again
How did things go this week? Did you come up with a variety of language activities, lessons, practice that you can do 10 minutes at a time? I hope so! It can make all the difference!
I notice how important this is for me. When I have an overwhelming task before me, I tend to procrastinate in the name of preparation: I feel that I can’t start until I feel that everything has been prepared perfectly… cozy spot on the sofa, tea in hand, the house quiet (and on and on).
Here are some examples of things I say to myself:
- “I really should write down each word that I don’t understand in the German book I am reading… but I don’t have any paper or a pencil right now. I’m going to wait to read the book right now until I have those things.”
Arghhh! Why don’t I just pick up the darn book and read it for 10 minutes. Who cares if I have a pad of paper to write down the words!
- “I need some quiet time to work on German so I’ll wait until the kids are in bed.”
Seriously!? When the kids are in bed I rarely feel up to working on German. I’d rather read a book in English or crash into bed myself. I’m tired in the evenings!
- “I don’t like that audio program because it bores me to death.”
Hmmm. Can’t I handle 10 minutes of it? Sheesh! Put it on while I am doing something even more boring, like doing the dishes or folding the laundry or ironing!
Excuses, excuses, excuses. I know it and you know it.
The key is to have some language activities that are short (aim for 10 minutes) and then you can do just one or you can put a few together and do 20-30 minutes all at once. The psychology alone will do wonders for your language learning. Rather than imagining an exhausting long-haul-language-learning-session ahead of you, focus on the quick 10-minute-language-learning-fun.
Read this week’s 10 Minutes at a Time post if you missed it! So many great ideas!
Today’s Check-In Activity
- Check-In Activity: In the comment section below, share some of your favorite 10-minute-at-a-time language learning activities (for yourself and/or your children).
Maybe reading a chapter in a book or reading a book to your children? Perhaps watching a YouTube video? Or maybe you have a favorite app that you use while waiting at the dentist’s or doctor’s office?
- Giveaway: After you leave a comment below, head over to the current giveaway and enter! Once you check in, you can enter! It is a fantastic book that you will want to get your hands on!
Don’t forget to visit the Multilingual Living Forum to ask a question, start a discussion or give someone else some support. You do NOT have to log in to post there. We encourage you to check out the Language Challenge 180 section as well as the other sections. And come check us out at Pinterest! We’d love to share with you there!
Have you checked on your target language pages lately? Add comments for new products/tips/advice/conversations that you have on your mind!
Keep an eye out for your next email which will arrive on Monday! Keep up the fantastic work!
Visit our sponsor: Dino Lingo is available in 43 languages!