While putting things together for Language Challenge 180, I was on the look out for language learning products for children in a variety of languages. Since my family and I have focused primarily on Spanish, French and German, I already knew about products those languages. However, what about languages that you are looking for, like Arabic, Japanese and Portuguese? Many of you are eager to know about resources for these and other languages!
Luckily for us multilinguals, there is a new company, DinoLingo, offering online language learning support for children in 30 different languages! For families looking for an option for language learning at home (homeschoolers, children who haven’t yet started school, after school practice, etc.) this is a fantastic option! You might even want to give this program a try with your children for Language Challenge 180.
For all of you out there who have asked about Portuguese language learning resources, here are some highlights of the DinoLingo Portuguese program:
- Choose between Brazilian and European Portuguese: I appreciate that DinoLingo offers both of these options. Often families opt for whatever is available but it is wonderful to have the chance to choose from both. I haven’t personally tried them to verify the authenticity but since each uses native language speakers, I would assume that the quality is authentic.
- First 200 Portuguese words: The program focuses on a set of 200 words (used in isolation and in context) that your child will be able to master by the end of the program. Since the words are repeated often, children are given the opportunity to work on hearing the intonations and imitating the sounds of the language as much as possible.
- Full Portuguese immersion: The program is presented in the target language from start to finish, using context to help children associate the words and sentences with their meanings. This is not one of those programs that go back and forth between English and the target language. This is important for children learning a language since the associations between word and meaning will be made directly (rather than through translation).
- Fun animation: DinoLingo’s main characters are animated dinosaurs (if you haven’t guessed that by the name). The characters are adorable and the animations are fun, yet they are able to include a lot of repetition so that children have the chance to hear the target words and sentences repeatedly. I like that the context is varied between these fun animations and real-life scenes. It helps to keep children interested and involved in the lesson.
- Interactive Portuguese language lessons: I found out today that DinoLingo also offers individual online Portuguese lessons for children! These are with native speakers via skype. Fantastic! It is hard to find live, interactive language lessons for children in Portuguese so I am delighted to see this! Click here to learn more.
What Is Included?
- The package includes 5 DVDs (region free) which cover the following categories:
DVD 1 – Let’s Count : Numbers and colors / 35 min.
DVD 2 – Let’s Eat : Food, fruit and vegetables / 35 min.
DVD 3 – Let’s Play : Toys, house items, vehicles / 35 min.
DVD 4 – Let’s Jump : Verbs, actions and nature / 35 min.
DVD 5 – Let’s Learn : Family, body parts, and clothes / 35 min.
Daily conversations and animals are included in all five DVDs.
- 100 Portuguese language flash cards for kids
- Animals in Portuguese picture dictionary
- Animals in Portuguese color poster
- 2012 children’s dinosaur calendar
- Parents’ guide for teaching children a foreign language
- Worldwide shipping at a reasonable rate
This is a great online language program for families who want to help their children learn Portuguese. It has a variety of elements to it and follows a regular sequence. The fact that it is full immersion Portuguese is fantastic! I also appreciate that it doesn’t overwhelm with full sentences but does introduce them throughout the program so that children can get used to using the vocabulary in context.
I would encourage parents to be involved as much as possible while their children learn Portuguese with this product. They can do this by helping their children use their newly learned vocabulary in as many contexts as possible (grocery store, going for a walk, driving in the car, etc.). The picture dictionary and poster will come in handy for this as well – use it after each lesson!
To learn more about how to get your children set up with live skype lessons, check out the Portuguese individual online lessons.
For information about DinoLingo’s other languages, head to the main DinoLingo website page.
We are proud to say that DinoLingo is a Multilingual Living sponsor. Thank you, DinoLingo for all of your support!