Language Challenge 180: Turkish

This page is for Language Challenge 180 participants only. Sign up now to join this event!

This is the Language Challenge 180 page for Turkish. If you are working on this language, please leave a comment below letting other speakers know a little about you and your language skills. Also tell us who will be working on this language (you, your child, etc.) and what you hope to achieve.

Please leave comments with resources that you recommend in this language (online language learning, fun websites, good books in the language, online TV programming, audio programs, online stores where products in the language can be purchased, etc.).

We’ll be updating this page based on the suggestions you make in the comments section below – so add a comment today!

• Coming soon! Tell us what resources you recommend for learning this language (in the comment section below) and we will add them here!

1 Maria Rita Castaldi March 2, 2012 at 6:27 am

Hi there! I’m Maria Rita from Italy. I’ve choosen Turkish, because I’m a linguist and I’m writing something about Judeo-spanish, so I need to learn a lot of Turkish word. Thank you, this is very exciting.

2 Justine Ickes March 2, 2012 at 9:06 am

My name is Justine. I was born and raised in the U.S. and my husband is Turkish. I’m a very low beginner learner of Turkish, mostly because I’ve just never gotten seriously about learning it. We leave in the U.S. This summer I’m going to spend three months in Turkey with our two sons, ages 6 and 8. They speak even less Turkish than I do. My goal is for the three of us to get to a basic beginner level before we leave for Turkey in June. I look forward learning along with the other folks doing this challenge.

3 Justine Ickes March 2, 2012 at 9:29 am

Aaron Meyers of The Everday Language Learner posted a link in FCebookmrecntly to the excellent CultureTalk videos. here’s the link

I also like LiveMocha, the on-line site.

4 Maria Rita Castaldi March 2, 2012 at 10:20 am

Hi! I’ve found many on-line resources. Unfortunately some of them are available only in Italian. http://www.imparare-il-turco-online is really useful and offers free lessons (only Italian). Then you can purchase CD-rom “Learn Turkish” of “EuroTalk”. You can download mp3-lessons from
For Italian students there is a book written by H.Yilmaz “Imparo il turco”.
Other resouces: (free) (CD-rom, various prices)

5 Ronaldo Jiminez March 2, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Merhaba Everyone,

Ronaldo here, livingin the American Midwest (Ohio). I have been a Turkophile for about 20 years. Studying on my own and torturing Turkish friends with my developing skills with the language I’ve managed to land somewhere between beginner and intermediate.

Here are some Turkish language resources I would like to share with everyone;

Turkish Listening Library

Turkayfe (Turkish Coffee Culture)

FSI (Foreign Service Institute) Turkish Course, includes sound files

Totally Turkish (Free online lessons)

Turkish Conversation Podcasts

All the best!

6 Maria Rita Castaldi March 2, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Thank you Justine, thank you Ronaldo!

7 Ebru Tuna-Nichols March 3, 2012 at 2:07 am

Hi everybody !
My name is Ebru and I am Turkish. I live in New Zealand with my New Zealander husband and 2 kids aged 3 and 7. I am the only turkish speaker in our household and my challenge is to teach my children turkish.

My 7 year old obviously is much better at it than the 3 year old. 3 year olds’ turkish is mainly ” you koy it there then i will giy it” (koy= put, giy= put it on) and ” she is kosing” (kos = run).. We have quite a number of kids turkish books which I try to read to them as much as possible plus some kids DVDs in turkish. I try to speak to them in turkish most of the time but it is difficult when my husband is around as he does not understand much and it creates quite a bit of confusion.

If anybody is interested in teaching turkish to children, then i will be happy to swap resources for kids. Unfortunately I don’t have any online resources, mine are mostly books and kids DVDs.

8 Denisa March 10, 2013 at 10:45 am

Hi everyone,
Im Denisa, from Romania.
im interested to learn turkish too, if someone can swap resources ill be glad.
Bye bye

9 Maria Iskenderoglu March 5, 2012 at 4:49 am

I’m Maria. I have been living in Turkey for the last 11 years. I have a Turkish husband and have lived in Istanbul, Gaziantep, and Kayseri. Since I teach English and speak English to my 6 year old Daughter, I don’t have much time left over for using Turkish. When I met my husband, his English was much better than my Turkish. It still is, so we use English to communicate with each other, although we do often use Turkish words instead of English.
I think it is time that I get a little more serious about my Turkish learning! Excited to share this journey with you all.

10 dreaminanotherlanguage May 17, 2012 at 6:09 am

hello maria. i am travelling to kayseri in september to live for one year while i work at the university. could you tell me about the city, but also what is considered business attire for a female teacher? i do not speak turkish YET, but i’ll be buying rosetta stone in june. hopefully i’ll have enough by the time i get there in september to save myself from getting lost at least!

11 Kubota March 5, 2012 at 5:10 am

Hey there,

Thanks for the useful links, Ill try them…
I am Japanese and my husband is Turkish. We are trying to teach our 20 month old daughter Turkish and so far she’s been doing quite well. She heard some Turkish while we are in Turkey during the last summer and her dad speaks Turkish to her sometimes. However, since we live in Japan her only chance to learn Turkish is the Turkish language DVDs we got from . The videos seem fun and there’s lots of music and colorful graphs. I recommend to everyone.

12 Justine Ickes March 5, 2012 at 8:51 am

Wow! Thanks for sharing all these great resources. I need to look at all of them and decide which is best for me and which for my kids. My preference is to learn by listening so I plan to download some of the audio materials. This pat weekend My husband and I watched a movie called, “When We Leave” about a Turkish family living in Germany. Although it’s a sad story, I was happy to realize that I was able to understand a lot of the Turkish (I had the subtitles on for help.) I think my kids will like watching videos. Too bad they don’t have video or Wii up games in Turkish because My kids will play Wii for hours so that would be a great way to sneak in more Turkish learning. 🙂

13 Maria Iskenderoglu March 5, 2012 at 9:35 am

You might try looking at the Morpa Campus web site. My daughter uses this as an add on at her school. It might be a little advanced, since it is for Turkish students.
The site is in Turkish so you might have some problems navigating it. They have videos and games. There is a free trial. The trial is for 5 days or one week and 38 Lira for a year after that.
That would be about 30 or so US Dollars.
My daughter, the native speaker, loves it.

14 Ebru Tuna-Nichols March 5, 2012 at 4:15 pm

You can buy children’s bilingual books in turkish at and

My 3 year old enjoyed Goldilocks, Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See, We Are Going On A Bear Hunt and Dear Zoo.

My 7 year old liked All Kinds of Feelings as it has a spinning chart in it and we played some “feelings” games with it. He also enjoyed ” Findus” books by Sven Nordqvist.

I am now looking for some chapter books in turkish for my 7 year old 🙂

15 Maria Rita Castaldi March 7, 2012 at 2:18 am

Hello! Could you suggest to me any nursery rhyme in turkish? I would to use them in order to memorize my first words.
Maria Rita

16 Maria Iskenderoglu March 7, 2012 at 4:45 am

Hi Maria C,
Turks do not have nursery rhymes. Those are a Western culture, originated in Britain.
Turks use fikra, a sort of joke. Also, everything tends to rhyme in Turkish because of the endings.
I have some books and will post them on the site. I have been really busy at work but am off the next two days. I’ll take care of it then.

17 Maria Rita Castaldi March 7, 2012 at 8:03 am

Dear Maria,
thank you for your answer. I will looking for fikra, I’m curious!

18 Ebru Tuna-Nichols March 9, 2012 at 12:42 am

Hi Maria C. !
Maria I. is right; there are not many turkish nursery rhymes as such but there are still some “tekerleme”s which you might find interesting.. I have collected a couple for my kids as they like rhymes, etc.. Here are a couple for you.

“Küçüktüm, ufacıktım,

Bir iki üç
Söylemesi güç
Sana verdim bir elma
Adını koydum Fatma
Hop hop hop
Bir büyük altın top

Rough (very rough!) translations would be like this so you know what they are about 🙂

1) I was little
I was playing with the ball
I got hungry
I found a plum
A white deer took it
I ran after it, I followed it
Then I realized I woke up

It fell into water
Where is the water?
The cow drank it
Where is the cow ?
It ran to the mountain
Where is the mountain ?
It burned, it turned to ashes.

19 Ebru Tuna-Nichols March 9, 2012 at 12:45 am

3) One, two, three
Difficult to say
I gave you an apple
And named it Fatma
Hop hop hop
A big golden ball

20 Aaron March 8, 2012 at 6:13 am

Wow! How exciting is it that Turkish has so many comments. Two of my favorite sites are both found at The Turkish Listening Library. They are: – this is a collection of 18 folk tales (both western and Turkish) which you can listen to in either English or Turkish. Listen in English first to get the context, then in Turkish. Great to do with your kids as they are story books that have great pictures. – Another great resource though for more intermediate to advanced learners. Hundreds of short interview clips of Turkish executives talking about business in Turkey, culture, etc. Listen, read the transcripts or the translations. Very cool project.

Herkese Kolay Gelsin!!!

21 Ebru Tuna-Nichols March 9, 2012 at 1:19 am

Thanks Aaron!

22 Maria Iskenderoglu March 8, 2012 at 10:29 am

Thanks Aaron. Sounds like great links. Will Check them out. I too am psyched with so many comments on the Turkish link.

Maria- I promised this list of books. I was half way through my message and it all went away from my web page. Well, here I am back to try again!

I purchased this first set of books in a book store in Washington DC. They are parallel Turkish-English text- one language on each side of the page. For a more advanced student but nice for learning culture.
A Cup of Turkish Coffee/ Bir Fincan Kahve by Buket Uzner, Radical Niyazi Bey/ Radikal NIyazi Bey by Muzaffer Izgu, Forth Company/ Dorduncu Boluk by Rifat Ilgaz, and Out of the Way! Socialism’s Coming!/ Sosyalizm Geliyor Savulun! by Aziz Nesin
My daughter has little story books (Masallar) Bir Varmış Bir Yokmuş Masal Sokağı
Bir Varmiş Bir Yokmuş Masal Parkı Eğlenceli Masallar
wow-that took forever to type in Turkish! I rarely use the Turkish Keyboard unless I have official papers. These little stories might be along the line that you are looking for. Timaş Cokuk is the company that puts them out. MEB, the Education system also has books but I don’t know the names.
Hope it was helpful

23 Aaron March 8, 2012 at 10:55 am

Hey everyone,
I almost forgot. I wrote a short guide called Sustaining to help people think about how to create, maintain and protec their motivation, commitment and positive attitude toward the language learning journey and it has been translated into Turkish. I have formatted it as a parallel text which you can read here:

24 Ebru Tuna-Nichols March 9, 2012 at 12:48 am

Hi Maria I. !
Thanks for recommending morpakampus. I had a quick look at it the other day and it looks good for my children, especially the 7 year old. I also noticed they have a section for pre-schoolers. I will subscribe and see if my son likes it.. Thank you for sharing ..

25 Justine Ickes March 9, 2012 at 4:44 am

Wow! Thanks for all these great resources and comments, everyone.

Maria, where is the bookstore in Washington, DC, where you bought the books? Do you remember the name of the store? We’re going to DC for a visit in a week and I’d love to stop by the store and get some books.

My kids are off school for a two-week spring break now so I am so glad to have all the resources to use now.

26 Maria Rita Castaldi March 9, 2012 at 7:40 am

Hello everybody! I wish to thank Maria I. and Ebru: you are so kind! Tekerleme is exactly what I was looking for. It surely will help my weak memory.

27 Kubota March 9, 2012 at 9:42 am

Someone asked about the nursery rhymes in Turkish. The same site I mentioned has some Turkish lullabies and Turkish children’s songs though I am not sure if that was what you meant with nursery rhymes.
more here

28 Maria Rita Castaldi March 10, 2012 at 2:14 am

Thank you! These are very useful links for me.

29 Maria Iskenderoglu March 9, 2012 at 11:32 am

Justine and someone else, sorry, I looked at all the comments before coming here to write. I so agree with germ theory and do not understand why cold beverages “cause” sore throats and illness. My husband had never had cold milk before and now has it on cereal a few times a week. My mother in law was sure that I would get rid of the cats once the baby was born. Nope….not a problem. My father is a veterinarian, so I often list the only transferable diseases when confronted with “cat hair in the lungs”.
I too am the mean mommy and my husband is also “tamam, tamam” all the time.
I’ve loved all the comments and learning from you all.
oh where is the DC bookstore….
Tempo Bookstore
5.0 star rating
3 reviews

Category: Bookstores [Edit]
4905 Wisconsin Ave NW
(between N Ellicott St & N 42nd St)
Washington, DC 20016
Neighborhood: Tenleytown
(202) 363-6683
ONe person called it a Language Nerd Heaven. 🙂 Just the place, eh?
I am really jealous that you are going to DC and will go to this store!! Have a great time and be prepared to part with a ton of money…it is well worth it!!

30 Maria Iskenderoglu March 9, 2012 at 11:36 am

oh a big Boo Hoo…..I just went to the website and nothing is listed for TUrkish. I was an English Language Fellow sponsored by the US Dept of State for 3 years and I always found Turkish references in the store.
Still, I think it is worth a trip to the store. They mostly have books that support ESL learning. Just maybe…you might get lucky!

31 Maria Iskenderoglu March 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm

You can contact them before you go and they can probably have things for you when you get there.

32 Olga March 10, 2012 at 2:56 am

Hello everyone,
I am from Kazakhstan, a former Soviet republic, and my native language is Russian. But I’ve been living in Turkey for the last 4 years with my Turkish husband.

I wanted to recommend a new Turkish cartoon, ‘Pepee’ which you can watch here (, unfortunately, too many ads on this page). It usually has very simple language, and many songs. Kids in Turkey love it! And, unlike some western cartoons that have been translated, its language is quite natural.

33 Olga March 10, 2012 at 3:05 am

Another good resource for playing in Turkish with kids is ‘Merakli Minik’ magazine, it has some of the materials online here:
It is a magazine for children 3-6 years of age. Each month they select a topic and have some games, stories and projects about it.
They offer an electronic subscription as well as paper magazine.

34 Justine Ickes March 19, 2012 at 7:06 am

Hi everyone,

Sill working my way through all these wonderful resources. Thanks!

Maria, thanks for the bookstore info. Tempo bookstore. Yes, I think I was there years ago. I will definitely call ahead and ask about Turkish books.

35 John Guise May 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Hello Fellow Turkish Learners,
You can download our “The Turkish Language Explained for English Speakers” (MOBI format) ebook for Amazon Kindle from here:
A Treatise on Turkish and its Grammar at
It consists of 43 Chapters and a Glosary.
You can sample it before purchase and download to your Kindle device.
It is priced at $US9.99
John Guise – Manisa Turkish

36 Nina Beebe November 30, 2012 at 2:50 am

Hi everyone
I have started learning Turkish in September. It’s a new challenge for me. This is also a very good free resource with exercises and sound:

37 Yasser January 8, 2013 at 3:23 am

Hi, I just found this site. It has a lot of nice links, thanks. I have been watching Deniz Yildizi on youtube. I first saw it on TV while visiting Bursa this december and I think its a good way to get used to the sound and flow of Turkish.