Language Challenge 180: Russian

This page is for Language Challenge 180 participants only. Sign up now to join this event!

This is the Language Challenge 180 page for Russian. If you are working on this language, please leave a comment below letting other speakers know a little about you and your language skills. Also tell us who will be working on this language (you, your child, etc.) and what you hope to achieve.

Please leave comments with resources that you recommend in this language (online language learning, fun websites, good books in the language, online TV programming, audio programs, online stores where products in the language can be purchased, etc.).

We’ll be updating this page based on the suggestions you make in the comments section below – so add a comment today!

• Coming soon! Tell us what resources you recommend for learning this language (in the comment section below) and we will add them here!

1 Amanda March 2, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I just did a post on this here

Although the ideas can be used for all languages, I have samples in Russian with links to where you can find videos and resources.

2 Craig March 4, 2012 at 11:54 am

I have bought many books and used different web sites to help but the latest resource I have used that I liked was I am open to any suggestions and help anyone can provide to help me get better at Russian. Thanks

3 Andrew March 5, 2012 at 8:11 am

have you tried it is something i used as well as sharedtalk for talking with russians.

4 Cristina March 6, 2012 at 11:58 pm

I am looking for a bilingual book Russian-English for a 2yo little girl. I have read a lot of titles on the web but still dont’ feel confortable in choosing one.
I would like something easy… 🙂
Any suggestion or idea welcome!!

5 Becky Smith March 8, 2012 at 10:02 am

I have lived in Kyrgyzstan for eight years and have bought all of my resources from there. However, I still feel like the resources are sparse!! Before we came to the States or a year, I went and bought some quality Russian DVDs for the kids to watch, so that they could at least remember their Russian (somewhat).

I have found it difficult for expat kids to learn in Russian, because most Russian books are versed with complicated vocabulary. Does anyone know if leveled readers have appeared on the Russian scene yet? I haven’t seen any in Kyrgyzstan.

Also, good audio programs for children would be nice. I really liked the links to the YouTubes songs, but those are for really young children. Does anyone know of some visuals with words that would work for eight to ten year olds? Audiobooks (with the books, not just by themselves, so that the kids can read along) are also hard to find.

6 nastenka March 15, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Same challenges/questions here…

“…versed with complicated vocabulary.”
“…leveled readers…?”

I’d love simple stories about everyday life, daily routines, general topics that my children (about 10 years old) can relate to. Any advice out there? Online ressources preferred, but open to any suggestions. Спасибо!

7 Crystal Farmer March 8, 2012 at 11:31 am

There is a wonderful website called They have bilingual books and videos in Russian. I have a few of the books, and they are aimed at different age levels, but one I read with my 8 month old is “Row, Row, Row Your Boat.” They have the song in Russian and English with pictures. Very easy to read!

8 Andrew March 19, 2012 at 5:50 am

Any parents wanting to skype with an 18 year old guy? I speak russian fairly fluent to a degree. please let me know.