Language Challenge 180: Portuguese

This page is for Language Challenge 180 participants only. Sign up now to join this event!

This is the Language Challenge 180 page for Portuguese. If you are working on this language, please leave a comment below letting other speakers know a little about you and your language skills. Also tell us who will be working on this language (you, your child, etc.) and what you hope to achieve.

Please leave comments with resources that you recommend in this language (online language learning, fun websites, good books in the language, online TV programming, audio programs, online stores where products in the language can be purchased, etc.).

We’ll be updating this page based on the suggestions you make in the comments section below – so add a comment today!

• Coming soon! Tell us what resources you recommend for learning this language (in the comment section below) and we will add them here!

1 Melissa March 2, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I am a New Zealander married to a Brazilian and living in NZ. We have a 1.5yr old son who we are trying to raise bilingual. We also intend to live in Brazil for a year or two within the next 5yrs so I am keen to extend my knowledge of Brazilian Portugese to the point where I get enough confidence to try it out more with Brazilian friends and family. So far the only online resource I have used is which was a helpful community when I had the time. You take lessons through the website (all free) then submit writen or oral examples and native speakers in the livemocha community tell you how you’re doing and you also have the opportunity to grade learners of your own native language.
I got a book called ‘the everything learning brazilian portugese book’ which is good for learning the grammar rules of the language but since it arrived right before I had my son I have not had much time to study it intensely.

2 Melissa March 2, 2012 at 9:06 pm

oh and my Sister-in-law has sent us several Xuxa XSPB dvds (kids music) which have fun to watch and learn from with my toddler. I have also found some Thomas the Tank Engine in Portugese on youtube and we purchased one dvd when we were in Brazil too.

3 Renata March 5, 2012 at 1:31 am

I am a Brazilian living abroad and trying to raise my son bilingual, he is 1.5yr. I bring DVDs from Brazil, his favourite now is Galinha Pintadinha. On youtube there are various videos with Brazilian songs, like Patati Patata, Palavra Cantanda, Os Pequerruchos. There are also short episodes of Brazilian cartoons like a Turma da Monica.

4 Dino Lingo March 5, 2012 at 6:00 am

Portuguese for kids DVDs and books – – Dino Lingo – shipping available USA, Canada, Australia, and Europe

5 Valentina March 6, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I’m from Chile and my fiance is Brazilian. We’re planing to live in my country but speaking portuguese at home, so I really want to learn some more. I just know the basics and can form a few sentences, but that’s about it… I really want to show him I can learn his language too!

6 Rolv March 7, 2012 at 6:01 am

I’m from Norway and in the past 6 months I have been trying to learn brazilian portuguese. In addition to Livemocha I have also used the page which has close to the same concept but with small variations in it. I have also joined an “English/Portuguese Language Group” on facebook which has lots of great exchange of language tips and so forth. When you have got to the level where you can understand a lot that is being said I would recommend you to take a look at this teacher who has lot’s of great videos about grammatics, On this page you will be able to read lots of tips about the language and they have great video lectures who are for both beginners and intermediate students, This blog here has so much material about not only the portuguese language but also about Brazil, I would highly recommend you to read as much as you can in it, take one post each day and it will definitely help you improve, I haven’t read through this blog yet, but by looking at the comments I think it looks pretty good, it’s a site not to teach you portuguese but to show you how you can learn portuguese, Here is another site I have yet to look at but does look good, Street Smart Brazil has lots of great videos on youtube and a blog with many more tips and is also highly recommendable, Another way of learning the language is by watching brazilian movies and listen to brazilian music, I think this movie is worth a watch

Last but all, my biggest tip is to find a brazilian, and especially one that doesn’t speak any other language than portuguese, there are many of them wanting to learn english and by doing so you are forced to make yourself understand the language and you might also end up with a new good friend.

7 Andrew March 15, 2012 at 6:23 pm

the links here are really good thanks for posting them i have only been learning portuguese for 5 months.

8 Melissa March 30, 2012 at 1:32 am

thanks so much Rolv those sites look very helpful.

9 Andrew May 20, 2012 at 6:19 am

olá tudo bem? como e os seus estudos em português? qual viriante de português vocês aprendam ? estou aprendendo o português brasileiros. como vocês aprendam?