Language Challenge 180: English

This page is for Language Challenge 180 participants only. Sign up now to join this event!

This is the Language Challenge 180 page for English. If you are working on this language, please leave a comment below letting other speakers know a little about you and your language skills. Also tell us who will be working on this language (you, your child, etc.) and what you hope to achieve.

Please leave comments with resources that you recommend in this language (online language learning, fun websites, good books in the language, online TV programming, audio programs, online stores where products in the language can be purchased, etc.).

We’ll be updating this page based on the suggestions you make in the comments section below – so add a comment today!

• Coming soon! Tell us what resources you recommend for learning this language (in the comment section below) and we will add them here!

1 Maria Jesus March 2, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Hola a todos, Hi everybody!!

At home we speak Catalan and Spanish. My daughter (5 years old) and me are trying to improve our English. Here you are some of the resources we use:

Reading and listening (for adults):

Advice and bilingual books for children:

Songs for children with tips for English classes: (we bought two CDs and my daghter does love them!!)

Congratulations for your blog!! I find this challenge very exciting.

2 Francesca March 7, 2012 at 2:43 am

Your resources are really helpful even for me (I’m italian)! Thank you for sharing 🙂

3 Maria Iskenderoglu March 5, 2012 at 4:59 am

I’m Maria. I am from the US and live in Turkey. My 6 year old daughter goes to public school in Turkey. We have been homeschooling for English. We speak English at home and she and her father speak Turkish. She watches DVDs and TV in both languages, depending on her mood. We just finished a Kindergarten program in English and she is half way through first grade in Turkish.

4 Francesca March 5, 2012 at 5:39 am

my name is Francesca and I live in Rome, Italy.
My son, G., is 15months older and since he was very very little I started to speak english with him. The most important resource we have is ‘reading’. Bilinguepergioco ( is where I’ve found a lot of information about growing a bilingual child and a lot of material too.
See you on this ‘Language Challenge’.

5 Maria Iskenderoglu March 7, 2012 at 4:48 am

I forgot to mention when I put my message that I homeschool my daughter in English using a program called Calvert. This may or may not be useful for you , depending on the age of your child. We have used the Pre-k and K program and are now starting the 1st grade program. Calvert also has an enrichment class called Discoveries in Music. I just got that one. Something like this can be really fun because you not only learn about the various instruments, you can find links to listen to and talk about it all in English. I hope this is helpful to someone.

6 Czeslaw Liebert March 7, 2012 at 9:02 am

For all those interested in free audio-books and e-books:

7 Paola March 9, 2012 at 1:09 am

Hello everybody!
I’m Italian and I live in Spain. I talk Italian with my son (4 years old) and in this 180 challenge I want to improve my English and improve my son Italian. I really like languages and now that I’m currently talking in Spanish and Italian (at home) I don’t want to loose “my” english.
Thank you all for all the resources you share. A web page that I use for improving my listening skills and vocabulary is:
¡have a great language challenge!

8 Dominick March 19, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Hey all,
I created an open spreadsheet on Google Docs, editable by anybody even if they don’t have a Google account, where people can add their sentences and translate sentences that others have added into their native language, I have included about 60 English sentences with Italian translations already, I think it could be a good collaborative effort among everyone…

Original url:

I was inspired by this open document of “conversation connectors” translated into many languages:

9 Francesca March 20, 2012 at 2:37 am

Thank you!
Very useful … I will give my contribute as soon as possible.

10 Liz March 20, 2012 at 2:46 am

GREAT thanks… I filled up what I could 😉

11 Maria Jesus March 20, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Language exchange

I’m looking for a family interested in language exchange. We are Spanish and are learning English. My daughter is 5. We (adults and children) could use Skype.

Let me know if you are interested:
It can be fun!

12 Kate March 21, 2012 at 5:22 pm

For those of you working on English with your children, I just stumbled on a website with a few books read by the author:
His “Turtle Tale” was one of my favorites as a child!

13 Maria Jesus March 25, 2012 at 9:48 am