Language Challenge 180: Dutch

This page is for Language Challenge 180 participants only. Sign up now to join this event!

This is the Language Challenge 180 page for Dutch. If you are working on this language, please leave a comment below letting other speakers know a little about you and your language skills. Also tell us who will be working on this language (you, your child, etc.) and what you hope to achieve.

Please leave comments with resources that you recommend in this language (online language learning, fun websites, good books in the language, online TV programming, audio programs, online stores where products in the language can be purchased, etc.).

We’ll be updating this page based on the suggestions you make in the comments section below – so add a comment today!

• Coming soon! Tell us what resources you recommend for learning this language (in the comment section below) and we will add them here!

1 Reina March 2, 2012 at 11:44 am

Are we the only crazy ones?? ๐Ÿ˜‰ We live in the netherlands so we are sorrounded by tv, children, adults, books….in Dutch.

Tot ziens ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Anita March 4, 2012 at 1:39 pm

You’re not alone. ๐Ÿ™‚ Same here. Living in Amsterdam. Wanted to reach a decent level ages ago, but you know how it is. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Slaap lekker

3 Reina March 4, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I always repeat to myself that they do not even speak it themselves properly, why should I worry ? ๐Ÿ˜‰ Do you have any kids? Where do you come from? I am spanish and have twin boys of 4 years old ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Melissa March 4, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I learned Dutch 10 years ago while living in the Netherlands. Now, we live in the US and have 2 young children. My husband is a native speaker (my native language is English) & he speaks to them in Dutch. We also attend our local Dutch school every Saturday morning, where I lead the toddler group. I am continually trying to improve my and my children’s knowledge of Dutch. I have found YouTube to be a good source for children’s books and songs.

5 Renata March 5, 2012 at 1:40 am

I am married to a Dutch, living in Germany at the moment, I found a couple of webpages to help me learn Ducth online:, and
I am still a beginner and I am trying to learn a bit each day following the lessons on the Taal Huis page. I have a toddler and my husband speaks to him in Dutch, so I hear and get to practise at home as well. Hope this will help me to learn faster!

6 Anita March 5, 2012 at 11:47 am

These are useful links. Thanks, Renata. I am from Germany …so it’s much easier for us to pick up Dutch than for most other people, I believe. However, it still requires some effort. Even though I live in NL I am primarily surrounded by English-speaking people. Also at home we have three languages: I speak German, my husband Hebrew and the two of us speak English with each other. We have a 1-year-old son.

7 Marjan March 5, 2012 at 12:48 pm

We live in the UK. I am Dutch, my husband Sudanese. So I speak Dutch with the kids (6 and 8 yr), my husband Arabic and the kids reply in English.
Kids go to Dutch school on Saturday. This has already helped a lot with the kids feeling more confident to speak. But during term time they always respond in English and I would love to hear more Dutch in the house….

By the way, do we continue to write in English or do we challenge ourselves and write in Dutch?

8 Marjan March 5, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Jij schreef dat je op Youtube wel kinderboeken en liedjes bekeek.
Wat voor boeken heb je daar zoal op gevonden?
Vind het wel een goed idee van je.

Weet er ook nog iemand een leuke website met spelletjes voor de kids?
Mijn kinderen vonden altijd leuk wat zich richt op kinderen van 4 tot 6 jaar maar mijn kinderen zijn daar nu te oud voor dus ben nog op zoek naar nieuwe websites.

9 Katleen March 6, 2012 at 5:29 am

Ik woon ook in de UK. Mijn man is van hier. Ik ben van Belgie en spreek nederlands met mijn jongens (6, 4 en 1). Zij gaan om de twee weken naar een “Dutch club” en kijken verder dvds in het Nederlands en iedere avond voor het slapengaan kijken we naar het jeugdjournaal op het internet. Ik lees ook enkel met hen in het nederlands.

10 LJ March 14, 2012 at 4:33 pm

We had some fun last night. I was telling the kids I had watched this Dutch movie, and in the movie, a boy was speaking to an English man, but directly translated some words from Dutch into English words. We all laughed about it. One example:
“My sister is a sister.” (The Dutch word “zuster” in this context meant nurse.)

11 Reina March 15, 2012 at 3:04 am

hahaha LJ, that is funny ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks everybody for the links ๐Ÿ™‚ For the childrensongs we have this book There is a CD and the texts so it is easy for the mothers to follow ๐Ÿ˜‰ On youtube there are many videos from this CD (the CD you can buy with the book has also music). Just search for kinderliedjes van vroeger.

12 DrieCulturen March 15, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Great to share experiences. I am Dutch but grew up multilingual in Africa. A site with typical Dutch songs is You can listen to the songs and read the song texts, they are all about animals. So have some fun together with your children. That’s important when learning a new language :-).