Language Challenge 180: Chinese

This page is for Language Challenge 180 participants only. Sign up now to join this event!

This is the Language Challenge 180 page for Chinese. If you are working on this language, please leave a comment below letting other speakers know a little about you and your language skills. Also tell us who will be working on this language (you, your child, etc.) and what you hope to achieve.

Please leave comments with resources that you recommend in this language (online language learning, fun websites, good books in the language, online TV programming, audio programs, online stores where products in the language can be purchased, etc.).

We’ll be updating this page based on the suggestions you make in the comments section below – so add a comment today!

• Coming soon! Tell us what resources you recommend for learning this language (in the comment section below) and we will add them here!

1 bolanle March 2, 2012 at 9:37 am

I would love my child to learn the basics of a tonal language such as Chinese before the age of 6. As a child I learnt Yoruba (also a tonal language), as a second language and feel that tonal languages can be easy to learn when you start as young as possible. At the beginner stage, I’ll be using

2 Cecile March 2, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I love this website. Granted, you have to pay to have access to it, but the basic package is reasonable and the variety of materials vary from novice low to advanced. Lessons recycle the vocabulary words, themes are everyday life. They have an app as well.

3 Cecile March 2, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Oops! Website is

4 McLanda March 2, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Hello everyone,
My son is 6 years old and we are learning Mandarin Chinese together. I’m so excited about starting this challenge. I have so many DVDs, flashcards, & textbooks about learning Chinese…my favorite book that helps me and my son is level 1 part 1 3rd edition, “Integrated Chinese”…I created my own flashcards starting with the greetings, colors, numbers, vocabulary, grammar,….Also we use this website to help with the Chinese characters (Pinyin Editor)…. Creating flashcards with simplified characters and placing the meaning on the opposite side of the card is very helpful. I purchased the “Chinese in 10 minutes a day” which includes sticky labels, flash cards, menu guide & a take along pocket pal…..

5 Nathalie March 3, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Hi everyone,
I’m currently a freshman in high school and began taking Mandarin Chinese in September of 2011 at my school. It’s a very difficult language and my grades in that class plummeted until just recently I started getting tutored by my Chinese teacher’s more advanced students and it has really helped! I use my school book “Integrated Chinese Textbook Level 1 Part 1” (I would definitely recommend it). I can read and write a limited number of characters (simplified!) and my pin yin and tones in pronunciation are so-so. Before I began Chinese 1 in the fall, I had absolutely no background in Chinese and I am still struggling, but I am confident that I and all others who plan to master this language, will achieve this with a perseverance and hard work.

6 Li-Ha March 7, 2012 at 4:09 am

Hello everyone!
I am a French native speaker so I speak French to my children. But my mother tongue is Cantonese. I feel harder and harder to have a full conversation with my family and relatives who live in Hong Kong each time I go back to visit. So I want to spend some planned and organised time picking up my Cantonese. Of course I also want to pass it to my children aged 1 and 3. It is just such an easy age to absorb language for them and I don’t want to miss such a great opportunity for them to bound with there origins as they get a tonal language.
The reason why I didn’t start with Cantonese with them right at birth is because I don’t feel fluent enough myself with the language and also because my partner is Portuguese and speaks Portuguese to them, our family language is English and the current community language is Dutch! But after 2 years of reading about multilingualism, I am ready to take the jump and help my children take theirs along with me.
In terms of resources I started with my eldest son to listen and repeat on We also use a DVD with karaoke songs and read stories of Chinese festivals (though for now, reading is in English and I comment in Cantonese for them). I am still looking for the hongkonguese national tv channel on the net or any other tv/news/documentary channel We can watch on the net. I am also equiped now with a children’s songs tape, flash cards, a few vocabulary books and am seeking for stories book but as I am not good enough at reading yet, it will be put aside until it can actually be used. We expect the grand’ma’s visit at least once every other month for some extra support in the challenge and we found native Cantonese speakers for language pratice.
I hope more people on the challenge 180 are learning Cantonese so that we can share tips and experience as Madarin Chinese is very different from Cantonese (I studied Madarin years ago and occasionally practice it so for those learning Madarin, if you have questions, I can try to answer).
Can’t wait to follow the coming activities! Have a great language journey!

7 Yar March 7, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am a Cantonese speaker who grew up in Australia. After moving to U.S., I started to lose my Cantonese as I did not have much opportunities to use it. I think Cantonese is a great language. I want my two children to learn the language but I am struggling to teacher them.

Things I am trying with my children include playing Cantonese children’s songs, DVDs for children in Cantonese and looking for a Cantonese helper to practice Cantonese with.

I hope challenge 180 will help us to achieve our goals.

8 Cecile March 9, 2012 at 7:18 am

Here’s a great resource to practice for the HSK test. It has the list of characters and skills needed at each stage from basic to advanced.

9 Alex May 5, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Hello! I am a late starter, as I was solely focusing on the language of my mixed background, German, having learned English. But my mom will be signing me up for Chinese school this fall, and I want to get a headstart.