After reading the post Don’t They Speak Spanish in Spain?, you will want to make your own
mouth-watering Paella Valenciana! Here is the original recipe. Enjoy!
- olive oil
- 1/2 (4 pound) whole or boneless
- chicken, cut into pieces
- 1/2 (2 pound) rabbit, cleaned and cut into pieces (optional)
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 (10 ounce) package frozen green beans
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- dried rosemary
- 4 cups uncooked medium-short grain
- white rice, or ½ cup of rice per person
1. Heat a paella pan, add olive oil and fry chicken and rabbit. Add the tomato and beans. Season with paprika.
2. Fill the paella pan almost to the top with water. Be sure to measure the amount of water as you put it in. This will help you determine how much rice you have to add later. Bring to a boil. Simmer for about 1 hour to make a nice broth. If the liquid cooks off too rapidly, you may want to reduce heat and add an additional ½ cup of water.
3. Season with salt and saffron, thyme and rosemary to make a rich tasting broth. Add half as much rice as the amount of water in the pan. Reduce heat to low, and simmer until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Be sure not to stir as that will cause the rice to get sticky.