Multicultural Methods: Drying Clothes around the World

How do you dry your clothes?

Post your answer below in the comments section…

Answer #1:

Answer #2:

Answer #3:

Answer #4:

Answer #5:

Answer #6: None of the above! (If this is your answer, then let us know how you do it!)

Please leave your response in the comments below. Feel free to elaborate as much as you want! And tell us which culture/country you are talking about so that we can link your response with your culture.

Stay tuned, we’ll have more Multicultural Methods every few weeks! Send us an email if you have a suggestion for a future one!

Photo credits: theregeneration, adriennf, Violentz, Tracy O, Debs (ò‿ó)♪

Corey Heller is the founder of Multilingual Living and the Editor-In-Chief/Publisher of Multilingual Living Magazine. Multilingual Living is the place where she shares her knowledge about raising multilingual and multicultural children. Corey, an American, and her German husband live in Seattle where they raise and homeschool their three children, ages 14, 12 and 10, in German and English.

1 Karolena June 1, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Answer #5 – Texas, USA

2 Rachael June 1, 2011 at 10:48 pm

#1, an preferrably on a balcony or a bathroom with a window. In Winter, clothes drying is a real issue with heating, rising damp. The moisture levels in external walls are a tough issue, with rental contracts specifying somewhere where and how you can dry clothes, and how often and long you should air your apartment. Once it hits zero outside, the drying clothes issue can take over your life!!

3 Corey June 2, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Being that we live in America, we have #5 but unlike most Americans, we rarely use it (primarily for environmental reasons). Thus, we use #1 during the cold/rainy months (we put it over a heater vent) and #3 when the weather is warm and dry. I LOVE not using #5! It makes me feel empowered! 🙂

Check out even more answers on the Multilingual Living Facebook link about this post:

I think that Americans can’t imagine living without #5. It is like living without a car. It is hard to use #1, #2 or #3 in the United States without people thinking that you are a little crazy (or too poor to afford to run it).

4 Anna June 2, 2011 at 2:58 pm

#1 and #5, but I’ve been asking my husband to put up an outside line, like #3. 🙂

Ohio, U.S.A.

5 Daina June 2, 2011 at 5:50 pm

#5 for a few minutes (to steam the wrinkles out) and then #1 until dry. I’m in Maryland in the USA.

6 Clare Maree June 2, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Conceptually, #3, but here in Australia, most houses have a Hills Hoist ( in the backyard. On rainy days (of which they has been way too many in recent weeks here in Melbourne), #1 over the ducted heating vent is our (what am I saying? I’m the only one that does the washing around here) only option. Is it true that it’s illegal in some parts of America to hang your clothes up outside?

7 Antonina June 3, 2011 at 10:07 am

#5: when I used #1, I spent hours ironing.
Antonina – Northern Italy
PS: #2 reminded me of Naples, with a smile… but I’d never ever do that!

8 Angelica June 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I use #1 and #5. Our family consists of myself, partner and 17-month-old. We don’t like things to get piled up and we also workout almost everyday, so we need to do laundry atleast twice a week. I have one retractable indoor line in the laundry room but would also love to rarely or never use #5 – for the environment and our wallets! I’m working on adding another indoor line or possibly retractable lines in our backyard, that would be cool.

9 Alison Deer Squillante June 5, 2011 at 3:54 am

There’s a #6 option too. The British airing cupboard!

My parents are convinced that ill-health will result if clothes are not mostly dried in the tumble dryer, then ironed and put in the airing cupboard to ‘air’ at least overnight. They find it hard to believe that I don’t iron and were completely astonished to learn that other countries don’t have airing cupboards. I don’t think there’s even a word for airing cupboard in Italian and now I’m in the States I’ve discovered that there doesn’t seem to be a word for it in American English either.

I use mostly #5 or #1 in the laundry room as I, myself, am convinced that some clothes shrink in the dryer even on the lowest setting. My American husband doesn’t agree, but like my parents and their airing cupboard, I’m sticking to my beliefs!

10 F.L. Feimo June 5, 2011 at 11:38 am

#6 drying clothes over hot water radiators. Great for wet mitts, socks when you come in from the cold.

11 Tracey June 7, 2011 at 9:35 am

In NZ I always had a round outdoor clothesline #3 (some that lifted up with a handle) and #5 in the winter. Here I have used similar to #2 and #3 in the city I used to live in but more haphazard and in this new city I use #1 and try and leave things to dry at night as it is less humid and they can dry better. But I have no verandah and so it is inside with a window open. #1 is always useful.

12 leticia daquer June 9, 2011 at 4:38 am

Oh, this is lovely! I absolutely adore learning about common everyday life in other cultures. The airing cupboard cracked me up! 🙂

I live in Italy, so we use #1 indoors (I have an extra room and dont really like the idea of exposing my clothes to the rest of the world, so I just put it there and keep the blinds half-open). We have a #5, which I use when for some reason theres a lot of stuff to dry and not enough room in #1.

Im Brazilian, however, so I feel I have to explain how we do things here – most apartments (I come from Rio so all my experience comes from urban environments) have what we simply call “the area” which is where we normally keep the washing machine, brooms and other cleaning equipment, and also where we hang the clothes to dry. The drying rack, however, is not floor-mounted like #1; it is usually suspended from the ceiling. Through a simple pulley system, we lower it to hang clothes to dry or to collect the dry stuff, and pull it up again so it doesnt take up room on the floor.

Sorry for any weird punctuation or lack thereof, but Im currently in Brazil and no longer used to the Brazilian keyboard, I cant find anything!

13 Jeanne June 9, 2011 at 6:14 am

#1 here in the USA – I hardly ever use my dryer. It saves us so much money and the clothes usually dry in 24 hours, plus it’s good for the environment. I have 2 racks from IKEA and two over-the-door towel racks hung on my laundry room door.

14 aran August 19, 2011 at 3:09 am

different ways around the world!
check it here:

15 Audrie August 23, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I have a retractible line on my back deck. I dry some things # 5 if they would otherwise need ironing. It saves time.