By Corey Heller
Photo Credit: Kim Hyeyoung
What with all of the fantastic American men around, what made me choose to tie the knot with a foreigner? How about this fun, tongue-in-cheek, stereotypical rundown of some of my favorites (ignoring, of course, all of the challenges that go into an international marriage – you can find those in my post 10 Reasons Why You Should NOT Marry a Foreigner)?
Let the countdown begin…
10. That glorious accent! Who knew an “R” could be rolled that way!
9. Foreigners are oh-so-sophisticated. Whether they grow up on a farm, in the city, poor or rich, they just have an air of sophistication about them. They simply can’t help it!
8. He thinks I am fascinating. When we met in Ireland, he didn’t realize how completely common I am in my home country… too late now!
7. I have an open-ended excuse to travel. Ok, sometimes this can be completely annoying since every vacation abroad is filled with visiting his family but hey, at least I have a reason to board the plane and it is great not to have to cook and clean for a month.
6. Our children will speak another language and we won’t have to pay an expensive tutor.
5. Two weddings. I’ll admit that we didn’t end up having our second wedding (the “American wedding”) which upset my side of the family to no end (we really did want to have one, honestly, I swear!) but the excellent excuse for getting family and friends together twice is fantastic!
4. He automatically charms friends and family. See #9 above… Need I say more?
3. Chocolate and more chocolate. I finally have an excuse to indulge in that high quality chocolate (the kind that melts in your mouth like nothing else in the world) that he can’t live without!
2. I love a challenge. Who would want to have a simple, normal, easy relationship? Especially after our children arrived, things got really challenging (and it wasn’t the decision of whether to use cloth or disposable – that decision was the easiest: cloth!).
1. True Love! It just couldn’t be any other way! Meeting in Ireland, breaking up in Versaille for an excruciating 10 minutes, meeting the families, being separated for a year to finish college… it was all worth it and made our relationship even stronger. After all of that, there was no way I could let him go, ever!
Are you married to someone from another country? What is your silly, fun, tongue-in-cheek top 10 list (or at least a few from your list)?
Or maybe you want to share the challenges that go into international marriage? If so, read my post 10 Reasons Why You Should NOT Marry a Foreigner (Like I Did) and share your thoughts there!
CLICK HERE to send her an email! You can also follow her on Google+!
Win a FREE language learning DVD set for your child!
Spanish, French, Portuguese, German - over 40 languages available.
Click here to to try a free lesson!