What to Do About Spanish. Otra vez!

by Alice · 16 comments

By Alice Lapuerta

What to do about that Other Language? The third one.

The one that is definitely under-represented in our household, because the native speaker who is supposed to represent it, aka The Hubby, is not always here to speak it, on account of a very demanding full-time job that includes frequent business trips abroad.

This, in addition to our decision to undergo The Great Language shift several years ago because of various reasons (switching from one-parent-one-language (OPOL) to minority language English as family language@home) resulted in Spanish taking the position of the poor Cinderella stepchild. It gets acknowledged only now and then.

Trips to Ecuador to visit the abuelos are rare, and even though we try to compensate by traveling to Spain instead, those trips aren’t any more frequent, either. Spanish resources here in Austria are as good as nonexistent. Our DVDs are dubbed in English and Swiss German, but not in Spanish. There are no other Spanish speaking kids in our monolingual Village with whom we could meet up for playgroups. And no, we don’t want to have an au pair, so that option won’t work for us, either.

I worry that we are fake trilinguals now, wanna-be multilinguals, bilinguals parading around as trilinguals, because we have a pretty decent command over German and English, but Spanish, alas, is doomed to go down the drains. It’s frustrating to say the least.

So what can one do?

Such is life: you’ve got do the best with what you have. So when hubby’s not here to speak Spanish, I do.

I know that some say if a language isn’t your native one you probably shouldn’t speak it. Because, oh horror, what if the kids end up with your accent? Or your bad grammar? What if they end up as semi-linguals as a result? Terrible!

As far as I am concerned I will listen to all those arguments and theories politely, and then pull up my sleeves and get down to the reality of OUR situation. Because it all looks very different in every-day life.

Our breakfast table at 6:30am: Either one of us speaks a language that is not his or her native one (English for The Hubby or Spanish for me) – complete with accent, bad grammar and poor vocabulary. Or, if that is just too dreadful to behold, the only other option left for us is that we just don’t communicate AT ALL. Period. This second option is rather ridiculous – some language (even rudimentarily spoken) must be better than none at all.

NEXT PAGE — 1 2 3 4

1 Maria July 1, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I’m glad! Isabella was a bit shy last time we tried to speak in Spanish with her, I hope it was only a phase and she’s over it.

Can you access Spotify in Austria now? I find myself searching for a lot of the music I know from my childhood: back then, there was a lot more stuff (TV, music) directed to children, safe, clean, fun. One of these artists, a clown called Miliki, even released an album a few years back directed to his grown up fans, called “A mis niños de 30 años”, and I have been singing those all day! Also other artists like Parchis or Enrique y Ana. And the songs from TV shows of back then… mmm, I’ve been feeling quite nostalgic, but it has been fun to listen to all those again. Let me know if you can get Spotify, and I’ll give you a list of albums I like in spanish for the kids, ok?

2 Alice July 1, 2010 at 11:33 pm

HI Maria, that was before we went to Ecuador and this really helped her open up more in Spanish! Now that she has Spanish class after school as well it also helps her to lose her shyness.
And yes, I tried the Spotify again several weeks ago and they STILL don’t have it in Austria. It sounds like such a good thing, though. I hope one day they will decide to open up Austria for this as well …

3 Amy February 6, 2011 at 5:37 am

Hi Maria,

Would you be willing to share your list of albums? My children love listening to music in Spanish and I could really use some new resources. A number of years ago we found a great website http://www.songsforteaching.com They have a Children’s Spanish Music box set that my 1-5 year olds still love. We would love some fresh Spanish music in our house. Thanks so much!

4 Maria February 6, 2011 at 8:47 am

Certainly!

The one I play more often is Miliki, which brings me right to my childhood. He released “A mis niños de 30 años” a few years ago.

Enrique y Ana were a duet who played children songs also in the 80s. You can see their albums here: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrique_y_Ana
Our favorite songs are La gallina cocoua and Amigo Felix.

Parchis was a band of 5 children also in the 80′s . Very corny these days, but fun songs that I still think of with nostalgia: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parch%C3%ADs_(grupo)

I recently got a couple of CDs from my brother in law for my son with traditional children songs… they are in the car, but I will try to remember to bring them over :)

5 Gretchen February 7, 2011 at 4:26 am

We love “Fiesta Musical: A Musical Adventure Through Latin America for Children.”

6 Monica July 1, 2010 at 8:06 pm

LOVE IT! I struggle so often, too, but one thing I definitely do is play a lot of children’s songs in Spanish and read a lot of bilingual books. I really am trying to find a more productive DVD set or curriculum to help me teach them Spanish.

Thanks for this post. Gives a lot of people hope, I think!
Monica´s last blog post ..Summer Learning Series- El Mar The Sea

7 Alice July 1, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Thanks for your lovely feedback, Monica. And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE share when you have found that DVD set (I am constantly on the lookout as well) and curriculum! I am looking for something that goes beyond the basics (the colors, counting and como te llamas -kind of thing. My kids have THAT down for sure, lol).

8 Ana Lilian July 1, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Yes! You do what you can with what you have.

Have you seen the books published by http://bilingualreaders.com/?

They are in Spain. A bit closer to home for you.
Ana Lilian´s last blog post ..Your SpanglishBaby- Carolina

9 Alice July 1, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Aaah very interesting! Thank you for sharing, Ana Lilian!

10 Maria H July 2, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Kudos to you for stepping in. There are several moms in my Spanish playgroup that, like you, are stepping in to try and do a little more (b/c for whatever reason hubby can not). I find it so inspiring when the journey is so important to the whole family. Spanish is only one of two languages for us yet I have found the birth of each new sibling to be a fountain on inspiration for everyone to really fall in love with Spanish all over again. Glad to see you are finding the same joy. If there are any Spanish resources in particular you are searching for please let me know and I’ll do my best to help.

11 Alice July 3, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Thank you for your comment, Maria H! If you find useful websites/ DVDs that help our children acquire Spanish, do share! Thanks! :-)

12 Marta July 4, 2010 at 12:07 am

Very inspiring post! Thanks! I’ve seen your website after visiting http://wheregoinghavo.blogspot.com/

We are a bilingual family (Spanish&Catalan) and live in Barcelona. Our little son is learning English and I think one day he’ll speak better than us :)

I love this sentence you wrote, it describes our relationship with the English language: “Our playful approach towards Spanish led to the result that my kids think that Spanish is a fun language. It is a language for singing, playing and vacation time!”

I think singing is a great tool for them to learn and for us to have fun too (after all, whatever tool we choose, we have to repeat things over and over again, so, it’d better be fun for us too :))

As for Spanish resources, Pocoyo is great! You can find him in many languages.
Marta´s last blog post ..Chocolate

13 gweipo July 5, 2010 at 3:12 am

Dutch is the step-child in our household, again since constantly travelling dad speaks it, and my children have to deal with Chinese at school (neither of us speak Chinese, although I’m learning) and English at home. They’re with their grandparents now getting some Dutch immersion for a couple of weeks.
We could make them go to Dutch school on a Wednesday afternoon here, but we figured that on the scale of things it’s a language that’s easy enough to pick up as and when they need it.
My daughter told me today that she’s understanding everything, but when she wants to speak Dutch, Chinese comes out.
gweipo´s last blog post ..Abundance

14 daniela beck July 5, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I know what you talking about I am now bilingual….English and German…I do some French and some Spanish and Italian…you know what I can pick up myself…colors, number up to 10-20…some days I feel I can even sport a WHOLE sentence…(ouvre la port or estoy aqui), but I wanna have fun and dont kill kids with multilingualism…even when people look at me like I am nuts throwing as a single parent all those around….I dont care i have seen how much it opens your own horizon if you make sure you get exposed to many things not just one language or thing early on…i do books (hoping for CDs and DVDs esp. movies)from the library in more specific and seldom used languages I have very little own knowledge like chinese(my son likes the show Ni-Hao so much so I learnt some words this hard languge I have bad hearing with intonation but it is magic sounds for them both,my kids are 3,5 and 2 now, given no writing lol…I would do russian,japanese and arabic on top of that for the kalligraphy alone….LOVE writing in those for sure!), keep up with whatever you are compfy with and the kids and let those nay sayers to themselves…i get heat from the social services they say my son is getting handicapped by me talking in English all the time, guess what no such thing, he chose not to speak to them… cant make him hello you know…he does understand them certainly sinc ehe syas words at home and granted he is not speaking in whole sentences….but I think it runs in the family on both sides the boy talk later with no issues whatsoever so i dont let anyone get to me they dont know my children like I do,trust me.

15 C... July 8, 2010 at 5:28 am

I never taught my son Spanish. He only speaks English. Spanish is my native language but it was easier to speak English my ex-husband then husband and his family only speaks English. My mother discouraged me to teach him Spanish as well to avoid discrimination. I live in the South/U.S. often times it is frowned upon to be heard speaking Spanish and I’ve even heard people say, speak English this is America, which I think is a terrible attitude to have.
C…´s last blog post ..Alternate Reality

16 Maria T. February 6, 2011 at 4:33 am

Alice, I commend you for giving your children the gift of trilingualism. It’s a tough job to keep up with it, but it will pay off eventually. Hang in there.

We live in the US but decided to immerse my son in Spanish from birth. He is now 3 and picking up English very easily.

I’ve used many reasources throughout, but lately, you tube and many of the Apps for the iPhone/iPad have been fantastic. We watch plaza sésamo on you tube, videos about the vowels, etc. And he’s now learning to read a bit through a great app. We, of course speak to him in Spanish, sing, watch pocoyo (he used to love pocoyo) now watches Go Diego Go in Spanish and Diego teaches him a bit of English. My son loves books too and I’ve been reading to him some a bit more advanced and he loves them. My husband has a difficult time pronouncing all words just right, but my son doesn’t mind and helps him out too. As I think of additional resources, I’ll be happy to share. Best!!